THE DANGERS OF NEGLECTING YOUR GUTTERS
Cleaning gutters is often near the bottom of most homeowners’ to-do lists. Although gutter clogs might not seem like an urgent job to handle, they can cause a lot of issues for homeowners. A little time and attention can save you a lot of money and inconvenience. This is especially true when it comes to gutter cleaning.
When you neglect gutter cleaning, the bad news is that it can cause serious foundation damage. This gutter maintenance guide will show you how to take care of your gutters, as well as cleaning them.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T CLEAN YOUR GUTTERS?
We’ll first discuss why gutter maintenance is so crucial. Let’s talk about some of the most common issues caused by neglected gutters.
COSTLY ROOF AND FASCIA DAMAGE
Your roof and fascia may be affected by the condition of your gutters. At the very least, leaky gutters result in water damage. This may cause poor-quality siding to stain or lose its vibrancy.
Leaky gutters may also result in even more extensive water damage. When the gutters are leaking, the damage may become so severe that they pull away from the roof. If the gutter hangers break away, the gutters may pull some of the shingles off the roof. As you can see, this is a costly headache that is avoidable with gutter cleaning services.
When the gutters are not draining properly because of clogs and leaks, water backs up and overflows. Excessive weight puts stress on the gutter system. From here, the result is that the gutters detach from your house. If you don’t clean your gutters, they can ultimately fall off. This leads to a myriad of problems.
WATER POOLS AROUND THE FOUNDATION
There may also be more pooling water around your foundation. If this pooling water isn’t dealt with, it can cause serious damage to your home, including erosion, foundation wall cracks, and flooded basements (if you have one!).
DAMAGE TO YOUR LANDSCAPING
You strive to keep your house looking as nice as possible by maintaining your landscaping. If your gutters are leaking, your prized plants and flowers may be washed down the drain.
Standing water around your foundation can result in more undesirable issues. This is including killing off your plants if the water makes its way to the nearest flowerbed.
The first step to maintaining gutters is identifying the common causes of clogs. This will help prevent future problems with your gutter system.
GUTTER CLEANING: CLEAN UP DEBRIS FROM SUMMER
When you’re ready for gutter cleaning, a good place to start is clearing out debris. A lot of sticks, leaves and even insects accumulate in gutters during the summertime. But what is the best way to clean your gutters?
- During each season, you must clean out your gutter system. The gutter system fills up rapidly with debris and causes problems sooner than you might expect!
- To get started, locate a sturdy ladder and wear non-slip shoes that provide plenty of traction.
- Put on some thick gloves and remove every little bit of material and sticks. Remember to follow basic ladder safety rules before working with a ladder.
- Birds like to get into your gutters during the summer and build nests. Although baby birds are adorable, you do not want them living in your gutter system. As you clean your gutters of their debris, keep an eye out for nests.
- Meanwhile, keep an eye out for bee and wasp nests. Be sure to contact a pest control company if you discover nests.
- Use a garden hose to flush out the remaining tiny particles.
Frequent downpours and summer storms can cause leaks in your gutters. Pooling water may cause foundation damage, especially if it escapes the system.
GUTTER CLEANING: PREVENTING CLOGS AND DEBRIS
Checking your gutters for leaks may be a bit time-consuming, but it’s worth the time to detect potential (and occasionally serious) issues. These are the top pointers on how to put leaky gutters to the test:
- To guarantee water flows freely through the gutters, you need to clear away leaves, twigs, and other debris remnants. If gutter guards aren’t installed, you’ll want to consider this. This is an important phase, as clogged gutters will prevent water from flowing.
- Grab your garden hose once your gutters are cleared out. You’ll use a hose in the gutter system. Place your hose inside the gutter and allow water to flow through it. You may either position your hose in a place where it will not move, or find a volunteer to keep it still.
- The most time-consuming part of checking for leaky gutters is taking a walk around the perimeter of your home. You can detect water drainage in areas where water should not be draining by moving the hose around your home in different positions.
- Recognize trouble spots in your gutter system by taking mental notes. If your gutters are leaking in certain places, you’ll have to either fix them or possibly replace them to keep the system healthy.
These tips will help you find clogs and leaky gutters. The best way to prevent these issues is by doing seasonal gutter cleaning with Ready Clean exterior cleaning services.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT YOU NEED GUTTER CLEANING?
How do you know that it’s time for a gutter cleaning? Look for the following clues:
- Standing water in your gutter system is a sign of mold and mildew growth.
- Debris from rains to winds is likely to find its way into your gutter system. Having your gutters cleaned multiple times per year is crucial for preventing this type of buildup. Leaves and debris may not only block your gutters, but also attract pests and allow for plant growth if they are not removed.
- Small animals such as squirrels, mice, frogs, and others can occupy your gutter system.
- You have gone beyond the time to have your gutters cleaned if you see green plant life sprouting from them. For plants to thrive, they must have a layer of leaves, dirt, and debris to protect their roots. Dirt from your roof flows into your gutters as a result of wind. Seeds blow into the existing dirt and debris, resulting in growth. Plant growth is one of the clearest indications that your gutters need cleaning.
- Your gutters may be in serious need of cleaning as well as an inspection if you can’t remember when they were last cleaned.
One of the most irritating pests, mosquitoes are a sign of trouble if they appear near your home. If you see an excess of mosquitoes near your house, your gutters may be the source.
If you notice that your gutters are falling apart or becoming clogged, it may be time for new gutter installation or gutter protection. Without gutter guards, your gutters are vulnerable to all the debris from trees and the environment. Even small and innocent pine needles can lead to clogged gutters. When you can’t afford gutter guards, seasonal gutter cleaning can provide you with the protection that you need.
GET GUTTER CLEANING FROM READY CLEAN EXTERIOR CLEANING SERVICES
Are you ready for great gutter cleaning? Contact us now to learn about our gutter cleaning services and how we can help protect your home.